Thursday, January 8, 2009

Customer Service!

If anyone else has ever worked in Customer Service, I feel for ya.

This summer I took up a position at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was hard work. You are constantly busy, and constantly helping people find things through-out the store. I'd never had a job before and didn't think that Bed Bath and Beyond was going to tire me out. I'm a pretty active person, but the first day I was on my feet for 7 hours straight. No breaks.

I never realized how stupid some of the questions we ask people are. I mean seriously. There were customers who'd come in EVERY day. They'd ask the same questions. I mean they lived in this store. They were there more then i was.

There was one lady, who would spend twenty dollars, on four different things. She'd bring in twenty percent coupons just to get one dollars back. When she would walk in, we'd play the nose game, to decide who would have to help her this time. The funny part was that we had really old computers, and to give them money back using a coupon, you'd have to type the scew in three times. These numbers were probably 25 numbers long.

I learned a lot about myself working at Bed Bath and Beyond, but think I learned more about other people then anything. :)

10 comments:

Natalie H said...

Shauna, I can definately relate. I work at Fraboni's adn sometimes I'm amazed at the questions people ask me. (and we play the nose game too) ...hope your next blog is better!

Kristi said...

Haha I know exactly how you feel. I've always worked in customer service and people really are interesting. My favorite question was from someone at the Culver's drive-thru. "I have a coupon for a dollar off a double butter burger. What does that get me?" I mean really??!!

And then there's the always fun people that came into Jo-Ann Fabrics to ask me a question, and then when I'd answer them they would tell me I'm wrong. If they knew then WHY'D THEY ASK?!?!

Ha. Good post. =]

Marisa said...

I totally know what you mean. I work at McDonalds and there are always people complaining. It's so annoying...but thats customer service for ya.

Katie B. said...

I know what you mean. At Hobby Lobby we don't even have scanners so we type in everything by hand and then get crap about how slow we are. This one guy paid for $10.29 worth of merchandise with a $100. He just about cleaned me out. I only had ones left. You're right though, people who shop at the same stores all the time are so annoying.

Erin said...

Working at a bank is a little different, but I know what you mean! You get to know the people, and know what they want. We also play the nose game when certain people come through becuase we know that they will hav a lot of problems with their work! good post!

Alyssa said...

OH GOD! I understand exactly how you feel. I work at a call center, and some of the questions people ask are such a waste of time. I hate it.

But either way, that is the way it works with jobs.


-alyssa

Nicole said...

Lol you really opened up a "venting-post" here! I'm certain any teenager can def. feel your pain...and the worst part is that you can't say to those people, "can you leave now, i'm really tired and don't want to deal with you." That probably wouln't go over too well with the boss! I completly understand what you're saying too.

Lindsey R said...

I know how you feel! People are so weird! Working at walmart as a cashier has taught me a lot about people and how to deal with them. Trust me, there are a lot of freaks at walmart.. think about it.

Abby said...

Shauna, this was a good post to make. As a sandwich artist at Subway (yes, that is what we're called) I have to deal with a lot of disrespectful, time-wasting customers. It's hard, but that paycheck is worth it, right? We don't really play the nose game, we just make the newest person take care of things most of the time.

sysilio- no definition yet

Brittanya said...

I've had people come into Papa Murphey's after a call-in order.

They pay their money and as I go to hand them their pizza their shocked it's not cooked.

Wow, seeing as our full title is Papa Murphey's Take and Bake Pizza. DUH.