Thursday, January 8, 2009

A time I was aware

When I was four-years-old, Andrea Steinhofer and I played soccer on an ALL boys team. This team was very competative and we had grown up with these boys. Our coach was a good family friend of ours, and loved us. He had two sons, and I felt like we were the daughters he never had.

We were pretty athletic girls to say the least, we were faster then most of the boys and if we ever had gotten the chance, we could have done much better. The team was called "the Heat," and we played on this team until seventh grade. Gender was always an issue with this team, we were the girls and no one that we were as good as them, and that we didn't deserve to play. Which was totally not the case. Andrea and I were fast. We grew up needing to be fast, just so we could get some playing time.

As we grew older, new guys would come on the team. Kids from other teams, who thought they were better then everyone. No one would pass to us, and I remember being told to go to the girls team numerous times. It wasn't fair, because after all of this, we were the original kids on this team, and we deserved to play.

I loved the heat, and so did Andrea. These boys were our best friends.

But, in the sixth grade, Andrea left me. She decided to go play for the golden girls. She got a lot more playing time, but I just couldn't give it up. I knew eventually i'd have to go to the girls team, but I didn't want to do it yet.

Seventh grade rolled around, and all the boys were going out for football. Soccer was no longer cool to any of the kids on the heat. Well, except me. I had to pursue my soccer career to the golden girls. I had a blast. But still every now and then, I look at all the trophys i've earned from the Boys team. It brings back a lot of memories. :)

Even though we were the girls, we still enjoyed it.

3 comments:

Anthony Mystery said...

The good old days for sure. four years straight winning the MASA cup, still sort of unbelievable. I know most of the kids went out for football, i was going to also, but like you, soccer was still what mattered.

Lindsey R said...

awww :(

I can totally relate! It sucks when you arent looked upon equally in sports, because boys ALWAYS think they are better than girls. When I lived in Memphis, I played on an all boys team, and then there was me and another girl. It was a coaches pitch baseball league, because they didnt have a softball program for girls my age. Our team was undefeated, but I always got told that I do everything like a girl, and that made me mad because I was as good as the boys! But, I ended up being MVP the last game of our season :)

Keenen D said...

What a bunch of bogus boys you must of had on your team. Girls can do anything that guys can do. I think its a fact. Plus you guys were fast and good, so I don't know why no one wanted to pass the ball to you. Bummer.